Welcome to a recipe that is pretty much Christmas in a cake! This Cranberry and Ginger Upside Down Cake can provide a welcome relief from the other soaked fruit-style Christmas desserts as it is not too moist and harbours a solid bite. Sweet and spicy, the cranberries and ginger make an usual pairing that really bursts with flavours, and colour! Ensure that the cranberry topping sits proudly on top, making quite the colourful centrepiece for the dining room table at Christmas.
No matter how full you may be, we can guarantee you will find room for one more bite with this festive dessert. Make this Cranberry and Ginger Upside Down Cake in a 20cm springform tin or a loaf tin, and enjoy!
Cranberry And Ginger Upside Down Cake
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 265g Billingtons Demerara Sugar
- 305g Anchor Butter*
- 180g Cranberries (not dried)
- 50g Hazelnuts
- 50g Crystallized Ginger
- 4 Eggs
- 2tsp Dr Oetker Vanilla Extract
- 150ml Whole Milk
- 250g McDougalls Plain Flour
- 2tsp Dr Oetker Baking Powder
- 2tsp Schwartz Ground Cinnamon
- 1tsp Schwartz Mixed Spice
- 1/2tsp Maldon Salt
Method for the cake:
- Bring 85g of sugar and 85g of butter to a boil, whisk and put in the bottom of the cake tin.
- Place the 180g of cranberries, 50g of hazelnuts and 50g of crystallized ginger on top of the sugar and butter.
- Cream the 220g of butter and 18g of sugar. Add the 4 eggs one at a time, and add the vanilla and 150 ml of milk.
- Sift in the 250g flour, 2tsp baking powder, ground cinnamon, mixed spice and salt. Gently mix. Pour on top of the cake and bake for 45 minutes at 160°C.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 160g Cranberries (not dried)
- 2tbsp Crystallized Ginger
- Splash of water
- 120g Billingtons Demerara Sugar
- 120g Tiptree Raspberry Jam
Method for the filling:
- Simmer everything except the jam until it is thick and syrupy. Leave to cool and then add the jam.
- To assemble, cut the cake in half and spread half of the filling. Put the top back on and cover with the remainder.
- Serve with lots of cream or custard!
We hope you have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy this delicious Cranberry And Ginger Upside Down Cake! Let us know if you give this recipe a go!
*chilled items are only available to select EU countries.