If you’re looking for a quick, fun and tasty way to reunite with your favourite British confectionery this summer, then these Dolly Mixture Cupcakes are the perfect way to hit the sweet spot.
Swizzels, Cherry Drops, Blackjacks – we all remember our favourite tuck shop treats from our childhood. Growing up, there was no better feeling then taking your month’s pennies to the local corner shop – bursting with excitement as you scanned every jar on the shelf, deliberating on which new flavour of bon bons you’d be taking home with you that week.
Nowadays, these trips and sugary indulgences are few and far between (probably a good thing for our teeth and waistline) – which is why these Dolly Mixture Cupcakes are great for British themed get-togethers and special occasions. What’s more, they’re brilliant to make with kids as they’re super easy!
We’ve chosen to use Dolly Mixture in this recipe – but you could choose any of your favourite nostalgic gummy sweets as well.
110g Butter or Margarine
110g Caster Sugar
2 x Medium eggs
150g Icing sugar
100g Dolly Mixture
12 x Cupcake cases
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Place the baking cases into a cupcake tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and the vanilla extract. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour. Fold in the remaining flour with a spoon.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the baking cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Mix icing sugar with a little water and a couple of drops of pink colouring to make a glace icing.
- Ice the cakes and immediately decorate the cupcakes with dolly mixture, topping with a birthday candle.
If you’ve had a go at making these, be sure to tag us in your photos using #BritishHappiness on Instagram.