Right now, the country is going cupcake crazy for National Cupcake week – so to keep up with the celebrations, we’ve decided to share with you a classic Red Velvet Cupcake recipe for you to trial this September.
With a creamy vanilla frosting and deliciously decadent chocolate sponge, it’s hard to believe this Dr Oetker Red Velvet Cupcake recipe gives you 12 wonderful bakes in just 40 minutes, winner!
So why not get your whisks at the ready and kick start day three of cupcake week with this Dr Oetker Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe.
Don’t forget to tag us in your creations using #BritishHappiness
Dr Oetker Red Velvet Cupcakes
40g Unsalted Butter
100g Caster Sugar
1 x Small Egg
Red Food Colouring
2ml x Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
2ml x Red Wine Vinegar (1 1/2 tsp)
75g Self-Raising Flour
1/4 tsp x Salt
15g x Cocoa Powder
12 x Dr. Oetker Muffin Cases
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas Mark 4). Line a muffin tin with 12 Muffin Cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat the egg, red food colouring (until desired colour level is achieved), Natural Vanilla Extract and the buttermilk, mix well.
- Combine the Bicarbonate of Soda and vinegar and add to mixture. Finally sift flour, cocoa and salt together and add to the mixture.
- Divide the mixture into the 12 cases (a gently rounded dessertspoonful each) and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and spring back when gently pressed.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the tin for 10 minutes (to retain their shape) before transferring to a cooling rack.
- To make the topping beat the butter and icing sugar together and add the Bright Red Gel Food Colour until desired colour level is achieved, to form a smooth glossy topping.
- When the cakes are completely cold, take a piping bag with a large rosette nozzle and fill with red icing. Starting at the outer edge of the cake pipe a rosette in towards the centre and finish with a peak. Finally decorate with sprinkles of your choice.
Image source: https://www.browneyedbaker.com/red-velvet-cupcakes-cream-cheese-frosting/
Recipe source: http://www.oetker.co.uk/uk-en/recipe/r/red-velvet-cupcakes.html