Easy At-Home Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Wow the whole family with a traditional Chicken Tikka Masala made in your own home.
Chicken Tikka Masala is a popular Indian-inspired dish that is believed to have originated in the UK. It's made with chunks of tender chicken marinated in a mixture of plain yogurt and spices, then grilled or baked and served in a spicy, creamy tomato sauce.
It is said that Chicken Tikka Masala was first created in the 1970s by chef Ali Ahmed Aslam, who was working in an Indian restaurant in Glasgow. The story goes that a customer complained about the dryness of the chicken tikka that he had ordered, so Aslam decided to add a spicy tomato and cream sauce to the dish to make it more moist and flavourful. This sauce is now a key component of this dish that has become incredibly popular in the UK and beyond.
There are other stories regarding the origin of the tikka masala (learn more here), but regardless of where it originated, it has become a beloved and popular dish around the world, enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds.
Fancy trying your own hand at making a Chicken Tikka Masala to feed the whole family? Look no further than this easy recipe, which serves four!
- 1lb chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional for extra spice)
- 1 500ml can of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander.
- Your choice of rice and/or naan bread.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, garam masala, cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne pepper (if using), and salt. Add the chicken to the bowl and toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour - the longer you leave it, the more flavourful the chicken will be.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat, or preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F). Thread the chicken onto skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 20 minutes before using to prevent them from burning). Grill the chicken for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through. Alternatively, you can bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- In a large pan or wok, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno pepper (if using) and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the onion is soft.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-7 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Add the grilled or baked chicken to the pan and stir to coat evenly in the sauce. Stir in the heavy cream. Simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes, until the sauce is thick and the chicken is heated through.
- Sprinkle the coriander on top and serve the chicken tikka masala with rice and/or naan bread.
There you have it - the perfect Chicken Tikka Masala! Be sure to check out our other classic British food recipes, and if you're looking to stock up on British cupboard essentials or treat yourself to some goodies from the UK, head to www.britishcornershop.co.uk.
If you're not up to making the sauce yourself, you can always check out the range of Indian Cooking sauces and more at British Corner Shop. You'll find plenty of other delicious accompaniments too, such as poppadoms, mango chutney and much more. Yum!