Recipe: Ultimate Chocolate Digestive Cheesecake
Learn how to make a cheesecake with Britian's best biscuit: the chocolate digestive.
Here at British Corner Shop, we recently conducted a survey in which we asked our followers and customers what their favourite British biscuit was. Hundreds of votes were cast, and yet one British biscuit came out clearly in the top spot: McVitie's Milk Chocolate Digestives.
Everyone knows a chocolate digestive is best enjoyed dunked into a cup of tea or coffee, but it's also a great biscuit to work with when baking or making desserts! So, here's our recipe for a delicious chocolate digestive cheesecake that will serve 6 people:
- 250g chocolate digestive biscuits
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 400g cream cheese
- 200ml double cream
- 150g caster sugar
- 200g milk or dark chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder or grated chocolate, for dusting (optional)
Prepare the base
- Crush the chocolate digestive biscuits into fine crumbs using a food processor - or by placing them in a ziplock bag and crushing them with a rolling pin.
- Transfer the biscuit crumbs to a bowl and pour in the melted butter. Mix well until the crumbs are evenly coated with the butter.
- Press the biscuit mixture into the base of a 20cm (8-inch) springform cake tin, making sure that it is evenly distributed. Use the back of a spoon to press it down firmly, really packing it in. Place the tin in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the filling.
Make the cheesecake filling
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, double cream, caster sugar, melted chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Use an electric mixer or a whisk to beat the mixture until it becomes smooth and well-combined, with no lumps.
Assemble the cheesecake
- Take the cake tin out of the refrigerator and pour the cheesecake filling over the biscuit base. Smooth the top down with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Return the tin to the refrigerator and let the cheesecake set for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight for the optimal texture.
- When you're ready to serve up your dessert, carefully remove your cheesecake from the tin by releasing the springform sides of the tin.
- Optionally, dust the top of the cheesecake with cocoa powder or grated chocolate for decoration. You may also wish to add mint leaves for a garnish.
- Slice your chocolate digestive cheesecake masterpiece into portions and serve chilled. Enjoy!
This chocolate digestive cheesecake is a real treat that combines the rich flavour chocolate with the textures of creamy cheesecake and a delightful crunchy biscuit base. It's sure to be a hit with your friends and family!
It can be stored in your refrigerator for 4-5 days. It can also be frozen for up to a month, however please note that freezing then thawing may slighty affect the texture of the cheesecake.
Want to see the results of our best British biscuit survey? You can check it out on our Facebook page.